November is National Caregivers Month
November is National Caregivers Month. Naturopathic Specialists is excited to be able to offer to support to caregivers whom are a vital part of a healthcare team. The impact of caregiving on a person can be a huge detriment to his or her own health. It is important to take care of oneself when taking care of others.
Dr. Coats felt so strongly about the topic of “caring for the caregiver” that back in 2012 she presented at the Oncology Association of Naturopathic Physicians conference. She educated other physicians about the huge impact that caring for someone with cancer or other chronic illness can have on caregivers. Not only was she able to share statistics but real stories of support that she provided for caregivers at Naturopathic Specialists.
For the caregiver’s of our patients at NS we offer the Caregiver Coupon which is a discounted package including a 30-minute focused consultation with a physician, a one-hour massage, a replenishing nutrient IV and a one-time 25% discount in the medicinary at the first office visit.
We understand that taking care of someone when they are ill can be very time consuming, stressful and often takes a toll on that person’s health which is why it is important to take advantage of these services. We also offer a caregiver handbook of resources and information that is available if one just asks. We also encourage you to be on the lookout for our “Talk With a Doc“ series at Naturopathic Specialists throughout the year as some are caregiver focused.
What is the impact of caregiving?
- 90% reported more stress or worry
- 69% spent less time with family and friends
- 51% began taking more medications
- 37% spent less time at work
- 10% more frequent or misuse of alcohol or prescription drugs1
- 15% took a leave of absence from their employment
- 48.6% had negative effects on their work- arriving late, leaving early
- 6.6% changed jobs to less demanding ones
- 5.6% stopped working all together